Peace and Security of Life
In a violent world obsessed with the illusion of security, we hear the Gospel call to non-violence, peace and the sacredness of all life. In particular, we commit ourselves to the abolition of all forms of war and the destruction of Earth and all living things, as well as advocacy for peoples and lands occupied unjustly and/or illegally.
We commit to:
- Educate ourselves and others to redefine our understanding of security for all life.
- Engage in dialogue and advocacy with federal and state representatives for abolition of the death penalty.
- Take a public stand opposing all forms of torture.
- Join networks and groups that advocate for the eradication of nuclear weapons and all forms of mass destruction.
- Dialogue with civic leaders and others regarding the use of weapons (nuclear, chemical, biological, drones, small arms, etc.).
- Promote legislation that allows peoples the freedom to live on their own lands; support legislation that opposes the occupation of these lands by dominant groups.
- Contact those corporations producing media that portray violent and demeaning behaviors.